Sunday, June 12, 2011

Zoo, Bed, Potty...Oh My!

It has been a busy couple of weeks here! I'll start first with our trip to the zoo!!!

We were lucky to be invited through Evan's school to Dream Nite at the Jacksonville Zoo. This was a free (our favorite price!) event where hundreds of people volunteered their time to help special needs kids have a really great experience and we were happy to be a part of it! :) When we arrived, there was a table with free stuffed animals. They gave the kids a choice between a rhino, giraffe and an elephant. Both kids chose an elephant and Avery carried hers through most of the zoo (no big surprise there). When we stopped to smell the flowers, she had to make sure her elephant smelled the flowers too.

After we chose the toys, there was a zoo keeper who was holding an alligator for the kids to touch. Evan decided he wanted to hold the alligator and reached right for his mouth! Evan the zoo keeper was a bit surprised and had to turn to keep Evan and the gator safe. Evan also touched two snakes and Avery touched the snakes too. Evan even got to feed a giraffe, but Avery wasn't interested in that at all, but she clapped for Evan and told him good job. :)


We rode on the carosel and since there were no crowds we were able to spend time talking with the zoo keepers who taught us all about the animals. The kids really loved seeing the jaguar and all the lizards and snakes. Evan really wanted to hold the 150 pound anaconda and Avery decided that it should be her baby. They were so funny! We also got to see the dinosaur exhibit, but unfortunately, the zoo closed before we were able to see all the animals. I don't think I have ever been to the zoo and spent so much time looking at each animal, but the kids loved it (and therefore so did I!).
The next big even that has happened in the last few weeks is that Avery finally got her big girl bed! The transition was amazingly easy. And, while she fusses a bit during naptime, she is a perfect angel in her bed. She takes all of her toys, Buzz and Woody from Evan's room are her favorites right now and one book that she chooses to bed. She has yet to get out of bed without Aaron or I in the room, I am not sure she understands that she can. She loves her new Dora sheets too. She is also really loving having her Grandma here and loves all the extra attention and is showing off her singing and acting skills. Grandma is also really impressed that she can already catch a ball when it is thrown to her. She is such an amazing little one!

Speaking of amazing kids...Evan has begun potty training! I have had the feeling for the last few months that he is getting a bit old not to be potty trained, but he really showed no desire to start. We decided though that it was time and on Thursday we spent most of the day in the bathroom and there we pretty much have stayed since. It was a slow going process and I was starting to get frustrated and worried that he would be going to kindergarten in diapers, then today, he has made huge strides and I am confident that we are done with diapers (except at night...that is a bridge I will cross soon). I am really proud of him, he has been working so hard and through all the changes has been holding it together well.

I'm so proud of my little ones! This week we are spending tons of time at the pool since Grandma is here to help us out, it should be a great week!!!

0 comments: