Around mid August, I am aglow with an excitement that is not there any other time of year. Those who know me, know that it is college football on the horizon that makes me so excited. I have memories since the '80's of going to football with my Mom and Grandma (among others). Sitting a few rows back from Mama Lou every season and hearing her heckle the early leavers, watching "Bubbles" do her dance during the 3rd quarter, and staring at Luther Ellis 4 seasons in a row are memories that will be with me always. I remember being carried to my seat because of my broken leg, and even when Dad came to the game and realized he was too sick to stay and he went and layed down in the car and listened to the game on the radio with the windows down so he could still hear the excitement from the crowd. Man, I miss all that!!!
Well, still a true Ute fan, I am tied to my computer (or on the rare occasions the TV) to listen/watch the Utes take on their foes. This season has not disappointed, at least not in the wins catagory. There have been tears, (no joke, I actually cried at the end of the TCU game), and lots of cheers, and even some four letter words that shouldn't be repeated.
This week the 11-0 Utes take on the "Team Down South" otherwise known as BYU (or in my household BY-Poo), a rivalry that dates back to 1896! The stakes are high for #7 Utah, because if they can pull out a victory we will once again bust the stupid BCS and get a real bowl berth. Oh the the thought of a repeat of our 2004 season brings a tear to my eye. I am sure I am not the only one (Randy) who still gets weepy watching the highlight video. Heck, my niece was named after our QB that year for heaven's sake!
4 comments:
It will be awesome!! Our boys say, "BYU, stinks like poo" ALL the time. :) GO UTES!!!
Holy crap, not only did I get misty after the TCU game, but your post totally did the same as well! I miss watching the games with you.
Oh, BTW...BYU needed a blown call and last second FG to beat 0-10 Washington and then got blown out by TCU. I'm kinda looking forward to this.
Go Utes. I will be cheering with you!!
I wish we could all be watching it together. I have to listen to it on the radio again, and Evan isn't the quitest little one...not fun!
Post a Comment